Friday 16 October 2009

YET MORE FRUIT

In Daisy Cottage I have now realised we also have damson trees.  I had never really seen the fruit dark and had only seen them green, and not being a gardener, hadn't realised these hard green nuggets would turn into juicy damsons.  That said, perhaps they never ripened before in our time in Daisy Cottage?  My husband just googled the fruit and it seems that 2009 has been a major crop year for damsons.

If the garden in Daisy Cottage keeps cropping me delicious apples and now damsons, I can see I am going to have to become Mrs. Beeton.  Or, better, Donegal's domestic goddess!

It's times like this that I wish I'd listened, observed and learned more from my father who was brilliant at making jams. Luckily I still remember most of how he went about it but after my experience making apply jelly last year, I think I need to adjust my sugar content.  I created the most perfectly clear apple jelly with one major downfall ~ it was way too sweet.

So now I will have to pick as many damsons as I can get and set to with my jam making. 

Pass me a pinny ...

No comments: