Sunday 11 January 2009

JANUARY 2009 ~ Kitchen/Diner




Above pics show the kitchen before (second pic) and after (first pic). The after one is just to show how light it looks now and obviously taken prior to the units being fitted.

Well, the renovations are now complete and I'm back on my blog after a long period away.

The kitchen is looking lovely - cream units and black granite worktop with a tiny gold fleck through it. I decided the extra expense of a beautiful granite worktop was worth it and I'm glad I went for it. It finishes the kitchen off beautifully.

The floor in the kitchen/diner, downstairs hall and utitlity area have all been tiled with classic black and white tiles. In the kitchen I was lucky enough to find a jet black dishwasher and a black fridge/freezer. The fridge freezer is the American double sized type and has a dispenser for ice cubes and a dispenser for chilled, filtered water. I know it was going a bit expensive to buy one of these beasts but we have one at home and I know how great it is to have all that space and ice and chilled, filter water at the touch of a button.

I went a bit mad and sourced a black dishwasher to fit in with the decor. It's kinda cool looking. The hob too is jet black and completely plain so it fits in with the granite worktop perfectly. I want to buy pure white dishes as I think white is best and I will go for catering dishes as these are much harder wearing than ordinary domestic dishes. The cutlery I chose is modern and of a good quality so it will fit in perfectly with the rest of the kitchen/diner.

Luckily I am addicted to buying kitchen utensils and this has left me with a raft of all sorts of utensils which I can use in Daisy Cottage. I have sourced some great quality catering saucepans and frying pans and will use them too.

The walls in the kitchen are painted a lovely soft vanilla shade to match the units and the paintwork is all white. The door, which is solid wood has simply been varnished to allow the beauty of the wood to shine through.

I have ordered 2 tables which I will have joined together and then the 12 chairs I have also ordered will fit around the double table leaving lots of seating and space for dining. I am trying to find a country cottage style oil cloth for the tables, you know, the gingham look. I love oil cloths and think using one in our cottage will be perfect.

There are 2 windows in the kitchen/diner (one at the front and one at the back) and although I have ordered blinds for privacy at night, I can't decide what other window decor to use. I am sort of thinking along the lines of some lovely country roses material to make curtains but I will have to see what I can find. As the front windows all look over the village, I have decided to make pretty little cafe curtains (the sort that sit on a brass rail halfway down the window) with old fashioned lace. This will make for privacy during the day when the blinds will not be down and I think they look gorgeous.

I just can't wait to get staying in the house for a night and try out the new kitchen!

No comments: